|Courtesy of SHAPE.com|
Thanks to SHAPE.com, I can still indulge in one of my favorite dishes in a healthy way. Chicken fingers, anyone? Don't fear, instead of frying the chicken strips, they are baked. Also, instead of dipping them in fat-filled Ranch, they are served up with mango ketchup. Yum. What makes this tasty dish even better is that it was thought up by Alexander Schnopp, chef of the Boulders Resort right here in Arizona.
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1 cup corn flakes or toasted rice cereal, crushed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1/2 cup all–purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 to 2 pounds chicken breast tenders or boneless breasts, cut into 1–inch strips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Mix bread crumbs, cereal, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and curry (if using) in a large mixing bowl or casserole dish. Drizzle oil evenly over the breading, then mix in.
- Arrange three shallow containers, one with the flour, one with the beaten eggs, and one with the bread crumb mixture. Individually dip chicken tenders into flour, then eggs (letting excess run off), then breading mixture. Arrange breaded chicken pieces on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until crisp and brown all over.Serve with mango ketchup (recipe below).
Ingredients for Mango Ketchup:
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 pounds ripe mango, peeled and diced into ¼–inch pieces
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (2 to 3 limes, squeezed)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook, stirring, about 7 minutes, or until translucent but not browning. Add mango, orange juice, and nectar or honey to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes more, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and lime juice, adding more to taste, if desired. Serve alongside chicken fingers warm or at room temperature.
This recipe serves 6, at only 223 calories per serving. Talk about guilt free!