Who doesn't love a classic pumpkin pie? Well, okay. I know quite a few people, but I'm not one of them. I absolutely love it! Whenever Fall comes around it's like pumpkin this and pumpkin that for me. It makes my insides happy. Cooking Light has a perfect recipe for one that will leave you feeling a little less guilty when you're on your second...or third piece.
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsweetened pumpkin
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Position oven rack to lowest position.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare filling, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add pumpkin, and stir with a whisk until smooth.
- To prepare crust, roll dough into an 11-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under and flute.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the crust. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet on lowest oven rack. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 50 minutes or until almost set. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare topping, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the amaretto and powdered sugar, and beat until blended. Serve with pie.